Driver CPC part 3a test: off road
Your test will last up to 30 minutes, and include:
- an S-shaped reverse into a bay
- showing the uncoupling and recoupling procedure if you’re taking a test with a trailer
During the test
You can carry on if you make a mistake during your driving test.
If you make a mistake which means you’ve failed, your driving examiner will end the test early.
If you pass the test, you’ll get a test certificate. You’ll need to take the certificate to your Driver CPC part 3b (on-road driving) test.
You need to pass the Driver CPC part 3b test within 6 months of getting your certificate. If you do not, you’ll need to pass part 3a again.
If you fail you can book another test straight away, but you must leave at least 24 hours before you take the test again.
Driver CPC part 3b test: driving ability on road
You must have passed the Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) part 1 theory test before you can book the Driver CPC part 3 test.
What to take to your test
You must bring a lorry or a bus or coach that meets the rules.
You must also bring one of the following:
- a Great Britain photocard driving licence
- a Northern Ireland photocard driving licence and paper counterpart
- an EU photocard driving licence (and paper counterpart, if you have one)
If you don’t have a photocard driving licence, bring your paper licence and a valid passport.
Your test will be cancelled and you’ll lose your fee if you don’t bring these.
How the test works
Your practical test will last about 1 hour and includes:
- vehicle safety questions
- practical road driving
Vehicle safety questions
During your test you’ll be asked vehicle safety questions on either:
- lorries, buses and coaches
- lorries, buses and coaches towing trailers
Practical road driving
During your practical road driving, the examiner will see how you:
- use the vehicle controls
- move away at an angle, uphill and downhill
- do a controlled stop
- use the mirrors
- give appropriate signals
- show awareness and anticipation of other road users’ intentions
- manage your progress and control your vehicle speed
- deal with hazards
- select a safe place to stop
There will also be 10 minutes of independent driving, designed to test your ability to drive safely while making independent decisions.
You’ll pass your test if you make:
- 12 or fewer driving faults
- no serious or dangerous faults
If you fail, you can book another driving test straight away. You cannot take the test for another 3 working days, not including the day you took the first test.
Please Remeber: If you are using our vehicle for the driving test then please check we are available first.
Please call to book our services